Scrum Master is a highly sought-after position. With the increasing popularity of online working, scrum masters are in high demand for the value they bring to the team. Their main task is to delegate the work between teams and communicate the progress to the stakeholders. Though there are certain prerequisites and certifications to become scrum master, according to Cosmitto, here are the things you need to know on how to become a scrum master:
- GOOD AT COMMUNICATION – Make sure that you are good at communicating because many people base their impressions of others on how they talk and communicate with other people. Make sure you know how to be the driver of the meeting or the conversation. Ensure that you know how to be calm in the discussion, handle things calmly, and talk smoothly, especially when things do not go along the way or things are not working smoothly. Make sure you remain calm and firm whenever you speak and talk to other people.
- KNOW HOW TO COACH – Make sure that you know how to coach other people. Tell them everything you know, and share everything based on your experience, your learnings, and based on the facts. Make sure to coach other people in good things only and help them learn positive traits. This will in turn help them be successful and be scrum masters in the course of their career.
- GOOD LEADERSHIP – Make a good leader who knows how to listen to his teammates. Accept what other people are saying, and learn how to accept others’ insights, opinions, and suggestions. A good leader is considerate of what their teammates feel. Good leaders consider themselves empathetic and have the ability to put themselves in others’ shoes. A good leader is a good driver of the team, driven by their only goal, which is to make the project successful.
- KNOW HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS – When you want to be a scrum master, make sure that you know how to solve problems, that is one of the biggest things you need to know how to cope with because, in everything that you do, problems do arise expectedly and unexpectedly. The only thing you can do about that is to learn how to solve them without getting mad, without getting angry. Solve them calmly and smoothly, while letting other people know your ability to address the issue at hand. You should be able to have everything under control and the stakeholders should feel the same level of confidence in you. They need to know that they do not have anything to worry about because you will do everything possible to make it through. Problems are just problems, and you should know in your heart that you are a scrum master who will do everything to make things successful in the end.
- TIME MANAGEMENT – Make sure you know how to manage time in every single activity that you do. Make sure that you know how to manage everything. If you are good at managing, everything will be successful, saving your time. And if you will save your time, you can do many things (work or not work-related), that is why it is good to manage everything with utmost importance given to time efficiency.
- GOOD LISTENER – If you want to be called a scrum master, make sure that you know how to listen to other people, especially when it is your mistake. Make sure that you consider what they will tell you and do not be mad about it.
So here are the basic soft skills required to become a scrum master. Cosmitto is offering scrum training courses that can help you.